Thoughts on the Biggest Loser


"A champion needs a motivation above and beyond winning." - Pat Riley

All the fuss with the Biggest Loser got me to thinking....

In my former days I was tuned in every season to the weight loss wonder show, enticed as I watched contestants embark on their weight loss mission.  They were doing what seemed unlikely and impossible for me.   

"It must be tough," I thought to myself, "to be away from life and dedicate oneself to getting healthy with unlimited help from trainers, healthy food options, dieticians, doctors, and staff."

Sign. Me. Up.  Three months away from my job, parental and other responsibilities, and the relationship that I knew deep down inside was part of the reason I was eating myself to death?  Done.   To be away from everything and quiet my  mind long enough to make lasting changes?  Oh, just give me the chance - I could do it in the three months.  I envied the contestants and had little sympathy when they complained.  I never applied to the show. 

I don't follow the show anymore for many reasons.  One - its a scripted game show and we don't see what goes on behind the scenes.  IT IS NOT REAL LIFE.  We don't know when the big weigh-ins really happen - only that if you lose less than 5 pounds every week that you are a disappointment to your whole team.  Ouch!  Two - I am too busy for much TV, as it is one habit I have decreased over the last few years. Three - I don't like the hype it creates when people aren't as perfect as we would expect them to be during and post show (or if they go "too far").  Too much drama.  Of course, that's why it has billions of viewers.  Losing weight is a BIG DEAL, and we should just be able to respect each other's journey and be supportive.  Regardless.  But honestly, the main reason is I already did it.  By applying the best tool I had.  Myself.

I did it EVEN with the jobs, responsibilities, a noisy, crazy life, and without the support of a loving spouse.

I hired a trainer, and asked him every question I could think of, and then I studied to be a trainer myself. 

I did not have the same resources that those contestants did, but I discovered the resources I did have and I got started. 

It took me longer than three months, and I didn't win money or fame, but I did it.

I am still doing it.  Every day.

And now I spend my energy helping others do what I did and give them hope and healing so that they can be their own champion.

Being healthy is more than a smaller number on the scale.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sticky Fingers Dilemma

No Excuses...NO LIMIT!

Exercise At Home