Day One - Doctor Visit

October 15 2014.  Ironically (unbeknownst to me) National Infant Loss Awareness Day.  When I woke up that Wednesday, I  knew something important was going to happen. I hadn't slept well for a couple of nights, and the morning felt very heavy.  It was cold and raining as we headed up to McKay-Dee for a 9:40 appointment with Maternal Fetal Medicine.  We had been seeing them weekly since Willa had started lagging in growth, measuring just 2.26 pounds at 30 weeks.  She had slipped from the 15th percentile for growth down to the 8th, and the planned steroid injections to help her lungs mature stopped due to an allergic reaction in me.  I had already been to the hospital once for bleeding after lifting laundry, and was nervously counting every kick and movement each and every day.  The placenta had started tearing, and our goal was just to keep her safely inside as long as possible and aim for 37 weeks gestation.  Our hope was that in the three weeks since being labeled "growth restricted" Willa had grown and gained enough weight to continue with that goal.

I expected an ultrasound to conduct measurements followed by a 30 minute non-stress test.  It had become something I looked forward to.  30 minutes of just the three of us together, his hand always on my knee, listening to our little girl kick and move. Her heartbeat was music to my ears, and I always walked away from those appointments with a little more peace of mind and reassurance that she was still there, growing and moving.  However, this time, the ultrasound showed a back flow of blood into the placenta.  She was trying to survive a deteriorating placenta, and was not getting enough oxygen.  Our planned breakfast date after the appointment changed with the alarming news.  There would be no 30 minute non-stress test, no breakfast date, no weekly peace of mind, and no return appointment to make.  We were having a baby instead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sticky Fingers Dilemma

No Excuses...NO LIMIT!

Exercise At Home